Friday, September 03, 2004

TCU 48, NU 45 (2 OT)

In spite of the final result - a 1 in the loss column - I felt pretty good about last night's game against the Horn-ed Frogs of Tee Cee Yoo. I mean, the loss of Loren Howard is probably for the whole season, and the Northwestern lineman showed that they'll be able to play well without him. Replacement end David Thompson had 3 tackles (one for a loss), and the linebackers and safeties did a very nice job supporting each other and the line in the rush defense.

Also Luis Castillo played great considering his left arm was severed at the shoulder early in the 3rd quarter. Ha! Now don't you wish you'd stayed up for the whole thing?! Screw work the next morning; this is football we're talking about.

But the defense on the ground didn't quite make up for the lack of defense through the air. If you want my opinion, and I know you do - why else would you be reading this - the TCU ball-catchers were just too fast as a group. They were down-field blocking while our secondary was still watching the pass. So, I think we'll improve on that against lesser receiving corps. Corpses? Corpsi? Corpsi sounds like a soft drink.

Corpsi! The taste of the old generation!

On the other side of the ball (Finally, Josh!) I was so impressed with Brett Basanez (Uh huh, uh huh! I like it!) that I was speechless for most of the game. I mean, 513 yds on 39 for 62 passing? With 4 TDs and 1 INT? And no sacks allowed? How could you ask for more from the guy? You know who I'm asking more from? The Grammar Police not to knock down my door, but also Noah Herron to show a little more speed. And the NU offensive play-caller(s) to get him out around the corner a little more. He's better in the open field than that for which they give him credit.

And as always
In My Opinion:
Cats' O: This is the kind of stuff we saw a few years ago from Zak and Damien. Only different. I'd like to see more from Herron or any other back, and I'd like us to keep some wide-outs healthy.
Cats' D: I liked the play up front and against the run. I don't know if the poor secondary play was a one-time deal. For now I think it was.
Cats' Special Teams: I wasn't going to say anything, but I feel I must. We should have won that game so many times, and it all seems to boil down to Huffman. That was a pretty lousy game from a guy who's usually a consistent kicker. Let's all give him a break next Saturday at Dyche, shall we?

Go Cats! Beat the Sun Devils!

No comments: