Monday, September 20, 2004

NU 20, Kansas 17

--AD--
Josh's NU Review is brought to you by
Students.
Showing up to things...since 2004
Now available at Northwestern University.

--AD--

Sorry about that ad. I don't usually have sponsors here, but in this case I'm a total fan. I'm fairly certain the ApostroCats are fans too, and after all it's all about about them here. Well, it's all about me being all about them. So.

In addition to being a fan of students showing up for NU games by the thousand (I haven't heard any particular estimate, so that's my own), I'm a big fan of the football-playing Northwesterners. I like those Cats on both sides of the ball and on both sides of the sideline. Do we have a booth? Cuz if we do, I'm a fan of those guys too. This past Saturday, I'll be bestowing most of my praise on the defense and special teams (and of course their coaches).

I. Special Teams. Huffman made FGs! A turnover on a KU punt miscue! These are very good, but do not underestimate the impart of Joel Howells in kickoff duty. He gave Huff's leg and brain a much-needed rest. Mad props to the coach who made that decision (and I have to assume it was Randy.)

II. D. The 2nd-best coaching decision (after Howells) was what I saw as a well-balanced defensive strategy. The KU rush was squelched (hee hee) with a minimum of NU man-power allowing for zone and nickel pass coverages. I know they passed for ~300 yards. But it was a small ~300. Ya know?

&
In My Opinion:
Cats' O: All-around good game. I worry about Baz's decision-making at times, but I'm lovin' these wide-outs.
Cats' D: Over-pursuit worked against Kansas but it can't be the rule or we're gonna get bur-urned.
Cats' Special Teams: Howells!!!!!!!! I like Huffman too, but Howells!

Go Cats! Beat the Gophers!

No comments: