Monday, September 04, 2006

NU 21, Miami (OH) 3

Hip hip! Hooray? I confess that I missed the first 20 minutes of the ApostroCats' season opener in Oxford -- damn you, Indiana freeways, with your rain and tire demons! -- but it doesn't look like I missed much. I realize that with all the emotion in the months and hours leading up to the game, a little early letdown may have been inevitable, but let's leave that excuse behind us now.

The freshman QB excuse is a little longer-lasting, I think. But let's pay attention to the 2nd half, and expect more from Mike Kafka. He looked good on the drive for the TD pass to Sutton. More of that please?

But the happiest story was the defense! I loved using lots of 3-4 and mixing up pass-rushing schemes. I've always thought that we should use our depth at LB and get more of them on the field. The pressure and speed we displayed should do well through the non-conference slate, where teams won't be able to prepare for our D. Promising!

More after the jump.

Josh's StatWatch
NU Passing yards/attempt: 6.2 yds/att (better than 6.5 = good)

Record after Game 1:
Josh's prediction: 0 wins (0-1 predicting individual outcomes)
NU Record: 1-0

And
In My Opinion:
Cats' O: Jordan & Sutton should be great together. Sutton needs to overcome his new-found marquee status.
Cats' D: 3-4! 4-3! 2-4 nickel! Keep the options open and keep the sacks coming. 5 sacks!
Cats' Special Teams: Well, it could have been worse. Better punt coverage is biggest need. And maybe let's try a FG just to see.

Let's go Cats!

No comments: