Wednesday, September 14, 2005

ASU Road Trip Guide

Saturday is the first NU road game of the season, and it's also my first road trip of the year. What a pleasant coincidence. I know how people have come to rely on my road trip guides, but I should mention a key point. I only provide guides for games that I'm going to. Sorry if you're going to Columbus or East Lansing this year. Not me. You're on your own there.

But I am going to Tempe, so here's what you (and I) will need to know:

* How do I get there? or Is Arizona the one on the left or the right?
Your best bet is probably to fly. Most professional pilots know to look for Bank One Ballpark and land in that state. You'll fly into Phoenix and Tempe is basically adjacent to Phoenix. Sun Devil Stadium is a few miles from the airport.

Read more after the jump.

* Hotel life on the road.
There are plenty of hotel options in and around Tempe. As a vacation locale as well as a college city, you'll have your pick of lodging there. The most important part, especially if you're supersticious about gameday routines, will be to make your hotel room as homey as possible. I suggest the following items:
- NU Flag to hang in your window
- Fuzzy purple wildcat slippers
- Grass patch of OSU (2004) and Michigan (2000) game-field turf
- Screen door
- "Tempur-Pedic" mattress

* What the hell time is it here anyway?
Travelling to AZ has a unique problem that it shares with that road trip to Indiana two years ago. They're all screwy about the time zones. Arizona is on Mountain Standard Time because they hate the environment and think it's ok to go wasting daylight all willy-nilly. If that makes you as hot-under-the-collar as it does me, try pretending you're in California. The time is just like Pacific Daylight Time plus you can be all ditzy and pretend you're a native Californian. Zing!

So, just for clarity, the game starts at 7pm Mountain Stupid Time or Pacific Delicious Time.

See y'all in Tempe!

No comments: