Thursday, October 14, 2004

BYE Week Preview

Well, after last year's divergence into etymology, I think we can all enjoy something different during Bye Week 2004. I had an original idea: How about I talk about football? Needless to say, I was bowled over by my own genius. So, I'll be all over the four Big Ten matchups this week, plus some other awesomeness from around the country.

* Michigan @ Illinois: I know this game is at U of I and all, but I do not believe that Illinois can break its streak of conferense losses. If you wanna see that, get tickets to the Iowa or Indiana games in November. Maybe.

* Minnesota @ MSU: Probably the most boring game of the weekend in this conference. Unless it features 700+ yards by the Gophers or the triumphant return of Jeff Smoker!

* OSU @ Iowa: Ok. Maybe this is more boring. But I'm excited to see if Ohio State can manage to lose it's third straight game. I kinda think they'll win, and both teams will come out of the weekend 1-2 in the league.

* Wisconsin @ Purdue: Now we're talking. This is probably the most interesting game in the country this weekend. Maybe Virginia-FSU will surpass it. Or Texas-Mizzou. The winner of this game is probably the prohibitive favorite to win the Big Ten championship, and will be the only undefeated (overall) team in the conference. I'm all a-twitter. You can bet "ESPN2" will be burned into the corner of my TV screen by 7:30 on Saturday.

And, because I liked it so much last year...
* Around the country in 80 words: A reprise of last year's feature. I'll try to hit a lot of games with very few words. Starting....now!
OU-KSU: I love me some 'Cats, but Sooners shall crush.
MTSU-Fla: Wha-happened? No more SEC?
ASU-USC: PAC-10 undefeateds. If not for Purdue-Wisconsin I'd be all over this.
Mizzou-UT: I just don't think the Tigers can cut it. They need that big-haired basketballer.
UCLA-Cal: Cal falls just a week after losing to USC. Famous alumna saddened.
UVa-FSU: Highest rankings facing each other. Meh.
Tenn-Ole Miss: Manning Bowl, 2004. Peyton wins.

No comments: