Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Penn State Preview

Well, it's time for the Northwestern Wildcats to go on another road trip. So far this year, those have turned out...not...good. Also, we're headed to State College, PA. Our record there is less than stunning at 0 and 4 (PSU has only been in the Big Ten since 1993, if I'm not mistaken.) Those four losses have been pretty bad. It's time to turn it around, so let's see how we're gonna do it.

I usually look at on-the-field match-ups when I do this, but I think one of our strengths this week will be on the sidelines. I don't want to say that Joe Pa is old and crotchety, but just take a look at this snippet from the Lions' coach's weekly press conference.

Q. Do you feel better about the offense after getting in the endzone against OSU?
A. I feel great. If we score 10 points every week, we should win some games. Twenty-one in a game is unrealistic to expect from most opponents.

Q. Is [QB Zack] Mills going to see much time against Northwestern?
A. I'm expecting him to play every down. Most of our guys go both ways, but he's got a concussion. I think maybe we'll platoon him a little at safety and punter.

Q. What are your first thoughts about Northwestern?
A. I've known [NU Coach] Ara [Parseghian] for a long time. I noticed that they experimented with some forward passes in their first game against Texas Christian. I'm not really surprised that they stopped doing that once the Big Ten conference season began.

Q. Good luck on Saturday, Coach.
A. What the hell is that black and grey thing?

Q. It's a microphone.
A. I don't care what it is. I think it's got the demon!


But we may as well look at the players too. PSU plays two QBs: Zack Mills and QB/WR Michael Robinson. Robinson is also the leader receiver (in yards.) The team has one of the best defenses in the Big Ten, and one of (if not) the worst offenses. So, who knows what that means? It means NU's O and D just need to play like they can, and not like they have sometimes.

And, wearing blue and white:
From parts confusing: Lee Kuzemchak (So. DT) from Indiana, PA.
Everything but the: Adam Senk (Jr. RB)
It's no BenJarvis, but it's a start: BranDon Snow (So. LB)
And: Weber, Palmer, Kilmer (I hardly even know Mer!), Ganter, Ganter, Connor, Bauer.

GO CATS!

No comments: