Saturday, November 01, 2008

Thoughts on: Minnesota

Yikes! I keep leaving these until later and later, don't I? This time I can't blame being out of town, so I guess it all falls on me. I'll try to keep up.

This week the ApostroCats take on the surprisingly competent Minnesota Gophers. Yes, this year's incarnation of the mustard-and-ketchup are 7-1 and ranked #17 in the current BCS list. That one loss is to Ohio State, so I'm thinking Minnesota is feeling pretty good right about now.

And why else might they be feeling good? Well, maybe because NU lost the two offensive skill players who touch the ball the most: QB CJ Bachér and running back Tyrell Sutton. So it looks like Northwestern fans (and opponents) should gird themselves for a heavy dose of running as backups Mike Kafka and Omar Conteh take the starting labels.

The keys for an NU win today? It's simple. 1) Efficient offense. 2) Effective defense.

If Mike Kafka can guide the offense to first downs, decent field position and, most importantly, few turnovers, the Cats should be able to put up a few points. That will leave the rest to a still-impressive defense, albeit one that gave up too many big plays a week ago. I think Coach Fitz will have had a few choice words with a few choice players, and we will see renewed vigor as the defense continues to recover from the loss of Malcom Arrington.

All together, there is a great chance for the Cats to win. Not just because I always pick them to win, but because our defense is capable of keeping us in any game. The line is Minnesota -7.5, O/U 46. I'm taking the Cats and the under: Northwestern 20, Minnesota 17.

Let's go Cats!

No comments: