Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thoughts on: Michigan

So, tomorrow, the ApostroCats (is that better, Mike?) travel to Ann Arbor to take on Michigan.  This is always a popular road trip option for NU students and alums, so it should not surprise you to learn that I am typing this entry en route.

Well, en route to somewhere, anyway.

I’m actually sitting in O’hare International “Airport”* unwilling to pay for wifi.  That means no fact-checking or the like in this entry.  Which is no big deal, because I’m not headed to or writing about Ann Arbor, I’m headed to Pennington, NJ, by way of Philadelphia.  Yes, I have my 10-year high school reunion tomorrow.  Good old Hopewell Valley Central High School.  The fightin’ Bulldogs.  The Black and Gold.  The, uh, place where I was a total geek and why am I going to this reunion again?

But, I am going nonetheless.  It’ll be good to see Pennington again.  Not that the reunion will be in Pennington.  Or in New Jersey.  What? It’s at some bar in New Hope, PA? And the only bridge I know how to use to get to New Hope is under construction? Promising!

I’m not totally sure what to expect from this thing.  Questions are percolating.  Will I still like the people I used to like?  Will I still hate the people I used to hate?  Will those two groups have switched? Are there people I used to hate reading this? Hi! I secretly always liked you, and I only pretended to hate you to keep up appearances!

Will they all have had cool jobs for the last 5 years?  Will they be impressed by the cool job that I’ve had for the last 5 weeks?

How many people will be married, and how many will have kids?  Is there a place somewhere near my parents’ house that I can easily and cheaply get a kid to bring along.  Like a child talent agency?  Or a poorly-staffed day care center?

At least there are some things I think will probably be just fine. I’ll stay in my parents’ house, although they’re thousands of miles away in Italy this weekend.  I’ll see a couple friends who I feel confident I will still like.  I’ll get to play with a GPS deal in my rental car.  I'll get hosed by the Avis bus, and have to rent a more expensive car from Dollar with no GPS.  I’ll watch the NU-Michigan game on my parents’ new HDTV.

See what I did there? Brought it all back to the original topic, didn’t I? Bow before me, as I make my weekly prediction!  Northwestern 28, Michigan 20.

Let’s go Cats!

* - that is, if I ever get a chance to get up in the air.  Current estimated delay: 1 hour, 22 minutes.  Update, wheels-up was just over 2 hours late.  I got to my parents house at about 2am and stumbled around the garage blindly before finding the key.

No comments: