Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Wha' Happened?: Duke

So, I was not able to get video of this game.  "ACC Select" just plain didn't work for me when I tried to buy the game, even though it had worked when I tested it the day before.  That was depressing, but the WGN.com broadcast was good as always.

My impressions of the game, therefore, are only based on what I've heard or read since Saturday.  I remain perplexed by the lack of getting Tyrell Sutton the damn ball.  I know that's what everyone expects us to do, since he's a major weapon, but I think he can make things happen no matter what.  And with our woeful performance on first downs this past weekend, The Cats need something that gets us into better situations.  2nd-and-fives will give us a plethora of options compared to 2nd-and-tens.

Also, I just used the word plethora, which is a daily goal of mine!

I realize that I forgot to pick some key players before the game, so I'll just mention them after the fact:
  • Jordan Mabin - The red shirt freshman came up with 5 tackles and forced a fumble (which he recovered).  He's apparently earned the starting spot over Justan Vaughn for the next game, so mad props to Jordan.
  • Eric Peterman - Peterman was involved in two of the biggest plays of the game.  He caught a 45-yard pass that helped set up the eventual winning TD and he threw a pass to C.J. Bachér that led to Sutton's second TD.
  • Amado Villarreal - The NU kicker was successful on his first FG attempt of the season -- a 35-yarder.  It's going to important for us not to leave points on the field, and having a reliable kicker is vital.  He also made his three PATs on the night.

Time to start getting ready for the visiting Salukis on Saturday.  Let's see if Northwestern can't put together a whole game by the whole team!

No comments: