Friday, October 10, 2008

Thoughts on: Michigan State

I'm trying to get back into the swing of blogging here, after a bye week for the team and for the blog.  Also, the Phillies just went out to a 2-0 lead in the NLCS, so my attention is a little split today.

But, I don't blog about the Phillies (often) so let's get back to the Cats!

Tomorrow afternoon -- yes, afternoon -- Northwestern returns home to take on the Spartans.  The last two years, this match-up has been decided by an average margin of 5 points, but an average of 84 combined points per game.  I'd like to believe that this year will be different and that defense will prevail.  BUT, I just can't bring myself to go against history and Javon Ringer.  Even if Iowa did hold MSU and Ringer sort of in check last week, I think NU will have to worry about:

  • Javon Ringer - Duh.  The RB is the best in the conference (unless and until OSU's Wells gets fully fit again).  He might have been the best back in the country for the first few games, although Iowa kept him under 100 yards last week.  We'll need to do something close to that to keep our defense from falling on its heels.
  • Brian Hoyer - He's not the greatest QB, and he doesn't have the best wideout crew, but he is a veteran and he has the ability to throw for a ton of yards on a good day.  With our LBs and secondary focusing on supporting the run, we'll either need good pressure or great coverage to keep Hoyer under wraps.

The ApostroCats to look for tomorrow, in my incredibly humble and attractive opinion are:

  • Tyrell Sutton - Maybe this will be the game in which Tyrell really runs like we know he can?  It's hard to argue with wins, but I think there has to be a showcase game for Sutton, and I think it could be tomorrow in his return to the Ryan Field grass after his injury against Ohio.
  • Jordan "" Mabin & "I Shot the" Sherrick "but I did not Shoot the Deputy" McMannis - These guys will have a lot of single coverage as we try to stop the MSU ground game.  I'm not looking for lockdown coverage on both sides, but solid open-field tackling is the watchword...s.
Let's go Cats!

No comments: